On Saturday, September 22, the Kidney Contenders are holding a research symposium at the Texas State Capitol in Austin. The event will start at 10 a.m. and go to 3 p.m. and will be streamed live.
The Kidney Contenders is an organization that was started in May 2011 by Jenn Smith-Williams and Susan Reat. Smith-Williams and Reat wanted to contend for kidney health awareness, redefine how the information is promoted to the general public, get on board with organizations and promote research in respect to induced pluripotent stem cells (IPSC) and chronic kidney disease (CKD).
Stem cell research can be a touchy subject. Smith-Williams and Reat have gathered a team of guest speakers to stand up at the Capitol and state their views on why stem cell research is important.
The speakers, times and topics are as follows:
- Introduction: 10 a.m. to 10:05 a.m.
- Key Note Speaker: 10:05 a.m.-10:25 a.m. TX Rep. Mark Strama(D) from District 50, Rep. Strama will discuss innovative technology and the impact on the future of TX Communities
- Second Speaker: 10:40 a.m.-11:50 a.m. Dr. Joel G. Gotvald, MD, FACS, PRVI, Austin Vascular Specialist will discuss that early venous preservation is a substantial part of pre-dialysis care and education
- Third Speaker: noon-12:20 p.m. Texas Representative Richard Hardcastle (R) from District 68, Rep Hardcastle will discuss Multiple Sclerosis (MS) and adult stem cell research
Fourth Speaker: 12:30 p.m.-12:55 p.m. Texas Heart Institute, Robert J. Schwartz, PhD
Director, Stem Cell Engineering, THI (Houston, TX)
- Fifth Speaker: 1:05 p.m.-1:10 p.m. Patient Advocate No.1, Susan Reat (Austin, TX)
- Sixth Speaker: 1:20 p.m.-1:30 p.m. Patient Advocate #2 Matthew Spriggle (Austin, TX)
- Seventh Speaker: 1:55 p.m.-2:15 p.m. Research Scientist and Editor of Nutricula Magazine, Dr. Robert Berger (FL) Presenter will discuss translational research in conjunction with nuclear medicine
- Eighth Speaker: 2:20 p.m.-2:40 p.m. Research Scientist and Editor of Nutricula Magazine, Dr. Robert Berger (FL) Dr. Berger will speak via satellite and discuss translational research in conjunction with veterinarian science
Conclusion: 2:55 p.m.-3 p.m. Jenn Smith-Williams from Kidney Contenders
To listen to the symposium LIVE log onto http://www.ustream.tv/channel/kidney-contenders
For questions or comments visit the Kidney Contenders blog http://kidneycontenders.blogspot.com/