RICHMOND, Va.—The 12 End-Stage Renal Disease (ESRD) Networks participating in the 5-Diamond Patient Safety Program are pleased to announce the launch of a new 5-Diamond Patient Safety Program website, located at http://5diamondpatientsafety.org.
The new site serves as a cohesive, central place for all participating Networks and facilities to access information and materials to implement the program. It includes
- Program history
- Step-by-step instructions on how to participate
- Online application forms for all participating Networks
- A user feedback form for comment or suggestions
- Fifteen patient safety-related modules to choose from, including all the tools and resources necessary to implement each concept
Current module topics include:
- Patient Safety Principles
- Constant Site Cannulation
- Decreasing Dialysis Patient-Provider Conflict (DPC)
- Emergency Preparedness
- Hand Hygiene
- Health Literacy
- Influenza Vaccination
- Medication Reconciliation
- Missed Treatments
- Patient Self-Managed Care
- Sharps Safety
- Slips, Trips, and Falls
- Stenosis Surveillance
In 2008, the ESRD Network of New England (Network 1) and the Mid-Atlantic Renal Coalition (Network 5), serving as ESRD contractors for the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS), launched the program to help dialysis facilities increase awareness and promote and build a culture of patient safety. Today, the program has become nationally recognized and is endorsed by both the Renal Physicians Association (RPA) and the American Nephrology Nurses’ Association (ANNA). It is currently being offered to facilities in 12 of the 18 (67%) ESRD Networks, with many of these Networks having participated for multiple years.
Check out the program’s new website at http://5diamondpatientsafety.org.